Thursday 3 January 2019

Day 6 - 3 -- Celebration, routine and loss

The highlight of the day was a successful master's thesis defense by a young woman who has come a long way from the early research proposal to this final point. As a member of the thesis committee, this was a great day to celebrate her success. This major event was bookended by less exciting activities -- planning for project writing and review to do over the next few days. Walking into campus today was pleasant. It was very cold, but without wind it felt better than the walks yesterday in the gusty winds. I called the plow man to push out the end of the driveway -- not too deep, just frozen solid <smile>. When I arrived home this evening, he'd been by, so I worked on clearing up the bits right behind the car. All is set for me to head out to get gas and groceries now.

My difficulty getting back into a routine, once more highlighted that I really do have a new routine -- even though it feels as if I'm struggling to get the hang of it. Again, being kind to myself and developing some patience should lead me in the right direction. It won't be an instant change and four months  isn't likely long enough to develop a whole new way of life. Many writers and retirees note that finding a new normal takes a year or so. Note to self -- just breathe. It will all work out. <smile>

Yesterday Daryl Dragon passed away. Most people would recognize him as the Captain of Captain and Tennille. Prior to this duo, he had played keyboards for the Beach Boys -- the role he continued with Tennille. Dragon and Tennille were married until 2014. They divorced after 39 years of marriage but remained good friends. Reports note that Toni Tennille was at his side when he died of kidney failure. I chose one song that fit the situation today. It is one they co-wrote. Enjoy!

We Never Really Say Goodbye -- The Captain and Tennille 

No comments:

Post a Comment