Saturday 26 January 2019

Day 6 - 26 -- Attacked from Behind

Bright sunshine greeted me when I entered the kitchen this morning, heralding the perfect day for running errands -- all those 'to do' list things. I began to make a late breakfast/lunch and realized I needed a loaf of bread from the freezer -- the one I just put in there yesterday. Into the basement and to the pantry room with the deep freeze. I leaned down into the freezer to pull out the bread and was hit by the freezer lid that came crashing down on me. It hit me in the right shoulder blade area pushing me forward with force. My left brow bone hit the inner edge of the freezer wall and then the lid bounced back down onto the back of my head. I went back upstairs to put a cold cloth on the eyebrow and fully expected to see blood. I didn't.  I palpated the areas carefully to see if there might be more than simple bruising expected. Assured it just hurt a bit, I finished making breakfast. But, I sat for an hour or more when I'd planned to do errands. I felt OK by then and headed out to the celebration of a a 50 year career of a local history scholar. Most of the crowd was retired, too <smile> but there were several middle-aged academics and a few younger. The turnout was great and I enjoyed hearing from a colleague with a great sense of humour. I then did the morning errands in the later afternoon.

I felt frustrated with myself this morning. I know that lid is a menace, but in 20 years hadn't been in the situation of today. I'd worried it might occur, which is why I generally hold a hand above my head as I lean into the cavernous interior of the freezer. Today, I didn't check the lid stability nor did I hold my hand above me. Go figure. A habit that was swept aside just this once. How do we forget to do something we've done forever without thinking? I'm not sure where to begin to find that answer. My initial response was to swear at the piece of equipment -- an act I immediately realized was rather silly. Anthropomorphizing a deep freeze seemed rather faulty logic. I did feel attacked in some way, though.

An odd song came to mind -- and remember I was hit on the head today <grin>. The title and a line or two of lyric seemed to fit my adventure of the day. Enjoy!

Under Attack -- ABBA




No comments:

Post a Comment