Tuesday 12 October 2021

Day 8 - 283 -- Being Thankful

Today is Thanksgiving Monday in Canada. Most people I know have the dinner on Sunday. That leaves time for family to travel to and from a gathering spot. Again this year, many areas are limited to small gatherings from one or two households only. I met with three friends yesterday for a fun dinner filled with great foods -- turkey )of course) with fresh cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes, turnip puff, red cabbage salad, and fresh rolls. A pinot noir accompanied the meal and we finished with a wonderful pumpkin pie.

Before dinner we sat chatting and each noted three things for which we are thankful. We covered a lot of ground -- health, regional pandemic management, friends, family, economy (jobs, pension plans), and the great fall weather we've been having this year. My three things included:

    -- While not perfect, our health care system allows us to access services without co-payments. Our taxes fund the systems provincially and some extra health insurance covers prescription drug cost, dental care and vision care, otherwise these are paid by individuals. Pharmacare exists for those over 65 in most parts of the nation. 

    -- Music gets me through a lot and is part of this daily blog, too. I have known musicians throughout my life. Growing up, my dad played saxophone, my brother played guitar and saxophone, and I played piano. I sang in choirs -- an alto who sang baritone <smile>. I have friends who belong(ed) to bands, orchestras, and played solo. Music is soothing and can help express myriad emotions. 

    -- I've been told that I have friends who are 'golden' -- definite keepers. <smile> I am in full agreement. Having people available to share ups and downs and all the in-betweens is amazing. When I need assistance with something at home or company when traveling to a medical appointment, friends make all the difference n the world. Visiting with them in person is fantastic, but virtual meetings feel great, too. We are lucky to have access to that technology for sure. And, I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the comfort of a furry companion. They help with finding calm on stressful days, bring moments of laughter and teach me to see the world a bit differently. 

I hope everyone celebrating this weekend took a few moments to reflect on all that they have to be thankful for. Noting three things is a good exercise -- I will even do this on days when I feel overwhelmed by negative emotions. It does show me that not everything that day was 'bad'. A song stuck in my head after hearing it a couple of days ago. The lyrics deal with one of my three points. So, I will get this melody stuck in your heads now. <smile> I like this cover version for the clarity of the vocals. Stay safe. Enjoy!

Thank you for the Music -- Amanda Seyfried


 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment