Thursday 28 October 2021

Day 8 - 300 -- Seasonal Cooking

It felt very fall-like today. Temperatures were cooler with a light wind that made wearing gloves sensible. The cloud cover remained, so outside was dimly lit and all lights needed while inside. I made an outing to pick up a few groceries and then walked out to Main Street for a couple of other items.  The walking helped somewhat with the intermittent stresses today. 

Supper came from the oven again today -- meatloaf, baked potato, sweet potato served along with the sauteed Brussels sprouts from last evening. The weather accommodates different cooking techniques, so the oven has been used often in the past week or two. Recipes change with seasons, also. I find myself thinking of stews, soups, lasagna, curry, and other 'heartier' dishes that we generally make in the warmer months. I plan to watch the sales at grocery stores more closely than I have been. Prices have been climbing steeply at a dizzying rate. Costs of animal proteins have increased dramatically. I will pull out my plant protein favourites -- chili, red beans, chana masala, three sisters soup and such. Again, these are wonderful soothing meals for cooler days -- warming and comforting. 

So many songs about autumn exist and most are so sad. I came across one today with up sounding lyrics delivered by a wonderful jazz voice. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Autumn in New York -- Ella Fitzgerald ft. Louis Armstrong




No comments:

Post a Comment