Sunday 30 April 2023

10-117 (27/4/23) -- Up the Hill

It's official. I'm moving. The new place is located on a hillside on the east side of town. Technically, it is in the county not the town, but it isn't outside of the town area. The development contains duplexes that are called townhomes<smile>. I will move into a new build for the first time in my life -- though when I was 6 months old we did move into the family home as it was being built. <smile> I've viewed a unit with a similar orientation so I can get the layout clearer in my head. The unit viewed was still in the work phase, so we looked at another across the street closer to being occupied. I did a quick walk through over a year ago when I added my name to the lengthy waiting list. I remembered some things fairly well, but the details were a little fuzzy. The storage shelving in the garage is amazing. I love the fixtures in bathrooms. The deck is huge -- about twice what I thought it was from looking out the window last year -- so there is lots of space for container gardening and a couple deck chairs. Cool. The kitchen really excited me -- Food is my Life {TM} after all <grin>. The appliances are new and very nice. Master bedroom has a walk-in closet that is a walk-through on the way to the master bath. Extremely cool. The place is very energy efficient with great insulation, triple glazed windows and high efficiency appliances -- even a very cool hot water heater that uses room heat to warm the water. 

Now I am torn about moving away from the downtown core where I can walk almost everywhere -- except the grocery stores. Getting to Main Street from the new area is a much longer walk than I would do several times a week. I like my neighbourhood of older homes that are all different from each other. Many are heritage homes and close to or over a century old. I do live in a mid-century bungalow in the midst of the older places. The neighbourhood has mature landscaping with great fawna to watch. I expect there will be much different nature to see up the hill, though there are only little shrubs so fewer birds to watch. The orientation of the new place faces west so the front deck will provide access to sunsets and the back deck will get the sunrise. Anyone who knows me will understand that the sunset is more my speed <grin>. Having windows on three sides will be great. The current house has only windows on North and South sides. 

I have a lot ahead of me -- again a time when I'd like a personal assistant to help with wrangling the little things and organizing the bigger ones. Getting everything into boxes will be a challenge. I've been sorting to discard, keep or donate for the past year. There will be a bit more of this as I pack what remains. Having a clear vision of the new place helps with next phases of the process. One song came to mind that made me giggle. Being up a hill on the east side of town sort of fits the lyrics. <smile> Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Movin' on Up (Theme song to The Jeffersons) -- by Ja'net Dubois & Oren Waters



No comments:

Post a Comment