Saturday 3 February 2024

11-34 (3/2/24) -- Awaiting the Next One

Huge white objects appeared outside the windows this morning -- Giant snow drifts everywhere. The driveway is hip to waist deep. It was ankle deep when I got home last evening. I moved snow from around the heat pump intakes and exhaust, but just left the knee deep snow that covered the patio. No where to put it anyway. <sigh>  When looking out the kitchen window, the neighbouring home has a drift up to the lower window sill. On my side the ground is still visible. Wind directions create odd air movement patterns with the spaces between buildings. It is all physics. I know a few physicists that could likely help with that. Some day, I'll have to make a point of asking. <smile> 

When I woke today, I felt we were halfway through the storm, when we just past a third. This one will be close to 72 hours due to an omega blocking pattern where a high pressure system in the north pushes and blocks the two lows southwest and southeast of the high. So storms stall and hang around much too long. The worst is yet to come with the blizzard beginning early tomorrow morning and lasting through the day. Snowfall amounts for that one are forecast to be greater than what we've already had. This goes way past anything that I've encountered in a single storm. 

I also had a feeling of claustrophobia when seeing nothing but white outside and the huge drifts encroaching on the house.  Also added into the anxiety is the high risk of power outages given the heavy wet nature of the snow. Tree branches are prone to break during such situations. After Monday, I should be able to clear what I need to and either drive downtown or go for a walk in the neighbourhood. It doesn't take long for me to get cabin fever <smile>. Winter is far from my favourite time of year. These weather events accentuate my inability to walk around campus and downtown when the driveway is blocked with snow. Snow blocks one's ability to get anywhere -- even out the front door. <smile>

So, as I wait for the blizzard and stare at what the last storm left us, a few lines from a song seem to fit my feelings. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

The Blizzard -- Judy Collins



No comments:

Post a Comment