Monday 21 April 2014

Day 111 - reflecting on shoes

I was looking at the calendar a couple weeks back and realized that it had been <mumbledy, mumbledy> years since I had my first pair of 'heals'. Now I was about 6 or 7 at the time and my aunt was getting married. I needed new dress shoes for the summer wedding, I was able to get a pair of sling backs with pointy black closed toes. The heal wasn't big, but it was a separate piece on the shoes that gave them 'the look.'

This memory led me to recall a number of shoes that I've had over the years.  I've never had more than 3 pairs of shoes at a time, as I have narrow feet and getting things that fit the heal and still provide support to the high arch is challenging. That said, there have been some wonderful shoes -- the platforms with square heals in a yellowed brown that remind me of those blue ones worn by Keith Moon (those are in the R&R Hall of Fame), the mega platforms that fit like flats but were 3-4 inches off the ground (these were like many things Elton John wore in the day <smile>), and the first set of spike heals out of a beige kid leather and suede mix that I got for graduation with my undergrad degree (I'm seeing similar ones out there now).  The flats came in -- that Annie Hall look -- and I was hooked. My feet didn't ache in the arch and I could walk around easily. Then I found the newer format of runners, cross trainers, hikers and walkers that have been my 'go to' ever since.

What do shoes say about us?  They can tell us if someone is a slave to fashion, likes comfort, or spends like there is a fetish present <smile>.  If anyone has seen the movie, "Red Shoes" you'll understand the symbolism of shoes. This was about a young girl who wanted to dance (ballet). When asked why she wanted to dance, her reply was "why do you want to live?"  Wearing the dancing shoes was everything to her. It is an amazing metaphorical movie. If you have a chance, it is worth watching.

Today's selection has to do with shoes <surprise>  Love this song. Enjoy!

(Angels wanna wear my) Red Shoes -- Elvis Costello




No comments:

Post a Comment