Wednesday 30 April 2014

Day 120 - aging or being old?

This morning Canada AM highlighted a documentary premièring at Hot Docs this week. I wish I was able to be at the showing of this piece -- I'd read about it in the National Post this weekend. It is titled "Advanced Style" and is billed as working to counter the usual Western thoughts on aging. The director, Lina Plioplyte, followed older women (50-90) of NYC, all of whom celebrate life and fashion. They make a statement and are not willing to just fade away as much social expectation suggests.

I have taught a course  that emphasized healthy aging this past year. It made me think about many societal 'norms' that marginalize people as they get older, particularly women. I showed the students amazing women who are still living their lives on their own terms, not those of society. We discussed a Nobel prize winner in literature, a track and field champion, actors, and scientists -- all over 80. We also spoke of aging males, and explored some of the differences in acceptance by sex. Several students have sent me other examples since the course ended -- so it did get them thinking critically of what is happening in their environments that might be viewed as agism and examples of people challenging the stereotypes. This makes me smile. <smile>  It would be great if this documentary could be available for teaching the aging course next time, but even without it, there are many fantastic examples of positive aging to share.

I've been told by older women to "never get old" -- two people have given me differing perspectives on this phrase. One I believe means old and infirm, while the other meant not to think of yourself as old -- just a big scary number. So, the first did think of herself as 'old' while the other embraced the fact and lived life every day. By the way, my response to the statement from either woman has always been -- "I don't like the alternative." Even now I have to stop and think about how old I am if someone asks -- the number isn't upper most in my mind, and I am often surprised when I do the math <g>. So one should never say they are too old for something -- it is all about mindset.

The selection today has a slow, mellow sound from two amazing musicians that addresses the mindset of age. Enjoy!

You're never to old (to hold somebody) -- Sir Elton John and Leon Russell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMncry64Xl8

No comments:

Post a Comment