Tuesday 22 April 2014

Day 112 -- Earth Day 2014

I am an environmentalist -- I will own that. A friend once said that I cared about people and 'things' -- the latter referring to spaces and species. I have felt strongly about working to inform people about problems and solutions since I was in high school. Once I had a job and could manage it, I donated time and money to causes that I felt were important to saving our planet for the future, and even have added key organizations to my will.

The impact of a single species on the earth is staggering. Though, it is not without hope. We can all do small things that do make a difference. In Nova Scotia, we have mandated recycling and composting across the province. Many areas use clear bags so collectors can tell if things have been sorted correctly. We have a green bin with each household to hold compostables. The recycling goes into two clear blue bags -- one for paper materials and the other for plastics (1-7, except foam polystyrene), waxed cardboard milk cartons, tetra packs and aluminium containers.  All beverage containers have a container deposit paid at point of sale, and this is refundable if we choose to return them to the depot near each community. The items that are not compostable, refundable or recyclable are put in a clear colourless bag for collection.  There are a few communities, including major cities in the province, where black garbage bags are still allowed. If policy were to change there, imagine the impact!  We have already diverted 40-50% of waste headed for landfills.

I have always been part of worksite recycling programs even when it wasn't mandated -- often to the mild irritation of my co-workers <smile>. I have been part of a local foods box program since inception packing and ensuring pick-up at one location every growing season.  I love farmers markets and visit many even when I travel. I am not perfect. I fly a lot, which is far from being carbon neutral. I still haven't switched all my light bulbs but am making headway. Even doing one small thing at a time can make a difference to our monetary costs and to the planet. I loved the way Dr. Jane Goodall puts it --
                            Every individual matters.
                            Every individual has a role to play.
                            Every individual makes a difference.

This topic has been covered in songs from past blog days -- see Day 37 for Big Yellow Taxi and Day 87 for After the Goldrush. The song selected for today, though, has been one that I've always felt was very positive. Then I found a recording with a spoken intro that said exactly what I'd always heard when I listened to the song -- tres cool. It seems a wonderful way to celebrate Earth Day <smile>. Enjoy!

What a Wonderful World -- Louis Armstrong


No comments:

Post a Comment