Friday 25 April 2014

Day 115 - getting in touch with my inner traveller

Sometimes I wonder about my conflicted self <smile>. I love travelling -- being in other cities or countries can be exciting. Learning about other cultures and lifestyles amazes me. When I get to the destination, I'm flat out seeing all I possibly can in the time available.

The key words in that last sentence are "when I get to the destination"  It is the getting to another place that can be the challenge. Driving long distances, manoeuvring multiple airports and security checks, finding ground transportation on arrival and all manner of obstacles placed before an intrepid traveller. I've met all kinds of delays -- road construction, weather issues, delayed and cancelled flights, missing connecting flights, changed boarding gates with little announcement to those still waiting in the original lounge, delayed and lost luggage. Each of these is a blog in itself and I will tackle some of the more colourful experiences in the future. No matter how much I enjoy being somewhere else, getting packed and ready to leave home has always been very emotional. It is a type of anxiety and I know it will happen every time I go somewhere, but it can be so difficult to wade through it each time. It seems like just staying home would be so much easier <smile> yet I know how much I want to go and see and do things elsewhere, that I manage to get myself into an auto-pilot place and I just do it. I learn so much about the world, people and myself when travelling it is not worth passing up.

Now -- I've taken only one VIA rail trip in my life -- from Moose Jaw to Winnipeg return years ago. More recently I have travelled in England on trains -- I love trains stations and trains. My dad was a fireman (the guy who shovelled coal) on steam engines. When diesels arrived he was one of many who were essentially unemployed. Years later my brother also worked with CP Rail as a brakeman, conductor (when they still had cabooses) and has been an engineer for many years. My grandfather's cousin, who was closer in age to my dad than my grandfather, worked as a conductor for most of his adult work life. So -- I guess I can say trains are in my blood. I love the sound of a train passing through town. I grew up a few blocks from the train yards at home and slept with boxcars coupling and uncoupling as trains were put together in the yard all night long. The selection today may make more sense to you all now, as it is about travelling and the positives that come with it, It is also about train travel. Enjoy!

City of New Orleans -- Willie Nelson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJMVj04lfyo

No comments:

Post a Comment