Sunday 6 April 2014

Day 96 -- Dare I say -- A spring day?

While I was inside most of the day working on more grading, there was a speck of sunshine early in the day and mainly clouds for the rest. I made a trip out for staples and stuff for this cold and the temperature was quite pleasant. It is to be warm and sunnier tomorrow with lots of rain on Tuesday and then back and forth for the next several days.

It has been transitional weather for the last couple of weeks -- snow (too much), sun, rain, ice pellets and freezing rain, sometimes all in one day. The temperatures have been fluctuating and were often below the average, but it seems we are at or above the average for the coming few days. The ground is sodden, as I've said before here. But there is so much left to melt and more to fall from the sky that it will be a very wet spring.

Whenever we have a day with several types of weather or precipitation, it always reminds me of that scene from the movie Notting Hill where the lead character walks down Portobello Road through all seasons in a single song. I've experienced something akin to this here, though without all the great produce and food stalls along the way <smile>. As I was writing this, I checked the calendar and realized that a year ago today, I was walking down Portobello Road on a Saturday when all the antique shops and carts flood the road. The weather was perfect for an April spring day -- some sun, but not too warm. It was a great way to begin my day of research at the Museum of Brands, Packaging and Advertising and a second day reading Alexis Soyer at the British Library. Interesting how my mind went there today -- the subconscious can be an intriguing thing <smile>.

So, today the song will be the one from the movie -- though I loved it long before hearing it there. Enjoy!

Ain't No Sunshine -- Bill Withers (from Notting Hill)


No comments:

Post a Comment