Sunday 9 November 2014

Day 313 -- A Quarter Century

I've asked myself several times today, how it has been 25 years since the fall of the Berlin wall.  I do remember watching this on television, but would not have guessed it was that long ago. The Google doodle for the day is quite wonderful -- showing parts of the wall now all over the world -- reminders of what once was.  This was a time of many changes in the world in terms of governance and ideologies. The change was infectious, it seemed.

While the removal of the wall played a major symbolic role, it also signalled changes to the daily lives of many people. Some of the changes were positive, yet others were challenging. Rebuilding economies takes time and without infrastructure, can leave some people outside the new mainstream. As the decades have passed, systems have begun to improve, but not for all people. It is like public health, where programs are implemented for the good of the many. The few can be left behind.

When I saw the wall being dismantled on news footage, it made me stop and just watch. When thinking of a song for this day, one did come to mind for two reasons -- the main one was how I had been affected. The title of the song says that well. The group singing it says the rest.  Enjoy!

Take my Breath Away -- Berlin

No comments:

Post a Comment