Thursday 13 November 2014

Day 317 -- Change is in the air

Have you ever stopped to notice the way the world changes as a new season approaches? As winter weather hovers on the horizon, amazing changes occur around me. When I step out the door in the morning it has had a 'crisp' feel to the air. The quality of light has changed so that colours are more subdued, but then is has been rather cloudy for some time, too <smile>. Since childhood, I've noticed the smell of the air. It changes as the temperature falls. It has smelled 'cold' recently as the mornings have been near the freezing point.

As we get into the true winter season and weather, when the temperatures dip well below freezing overnight, the air has a distinctly different odour -- to me this smells 'COLD' not the 'cold' of mid-autumn, but COLD. <smile> I've always found this interesting. Living in the Maritimes, temperatures don't fall much below -20C very often, but when it does I'm always reminded of home when I step out the door. <smile>  It smells like that cold prairie landscape. The coming of spring will bring new air scents of 'wet' and 'mud' so there is always something new to look forward to in the cycle of seasons.

We are now getting the arctic blast that has been visiting much of North America this week. Snowfall warnings are much closer than the last storms. So far, it appears that we will have mainly rain during the day tomorrow. This forecast made me think of the oncoming colder weather, so today's selection contains lyrics that deal with the look and feel of the approaching changes. It does this in an upbeat way, which helps me to feel less grumpy about it all <grin>. Enjoy!

Hazy Shade of Winter -- Simon and Garfunkel


No comments:

Post a Comment