Tuesday 25 November 2014

Day 329 -- Fall Food Day

Fall food festival -- we had one at work today as the students marketed their fall food projects. This event is much anticipated and this year did not disappoint. There were some very different products compared with past years -- jarred salsa, bottled  fall apple soda, 'gummies' made from fruits with a bit of juice, hot smoothie (cinnamon apple scent that permeated the building), carrot-zuchinni squares, banana and fruit bites with chocolate, a fruit and yogurt parfait in a shell, and cheesecake bites (3 flavours with varied toppings). I did not try them all, but did leave with some snacks for later <smile> and some leftover fresh fruit at the end of the day. A truly yummy experience.

Fall harvest brings such wonderful flavours. Winter squash and pumpkins make wonderful soups, baked vegetables and yummy dessert items. Apples and pears add to daily enjoyment as fresh crunchy fruits and many cooked items from soups to sauces to crisps to muffins. Mix in some fresh cranberries and amazing tastes appear. I do love apples. My favourite is a McIntosh. I like some tang with the sweetness, so find honeycrisp too sweet. I also have chosen not to purchase this newer apple as their marketability has led to farmers ripping out orchards of many varieties of apples to move to this one variety only.  Monoculture of any type bothers me -- it just isn't sustainable.  Some of the older varieties and heiloom varieties of apples have so much to offer. I am enjoying living with orchards just down the road and cranberry bogs even closer. So, as I ponder what to cook when I have a bit of time in the coming weeks, I know these local products will be part of the process <smile>.

In honour of the venerable apple, I chose today's song. This is a song that I heard as a kid -- one of my dad's favourites. The harmonies are tight and the voices blend well. Enjoy!

Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree -- The Andrews Sisters


No comments:

Post a Comment