Tuesday 11 November 2014

Day 315 -- The Nature of Freedom

On this Remembrance Day, I've reflected on the nature of freedom. Earlier this week in a conversation about the protocols requested by the Legion for wearing the poppy (as in not with a different pin in the centre), I was stymied by one response. We were told that they will wear it as they please, since freedom is what the vets had fought for.  I couldn't respond as the root of my "Really?" (with just a touch of sarcasm) needed time to be clarified in my own mind.

My thoughts congealed a bit and I understood my discomfort with the reply. The poppy is worn in remembrance of those who died in service. Its iconic format has changed little over the decades, yet people have begun to wear a tie tack in the centre to keep the thing on their clothing and not be poked by the pointy pin. There are many ways to deal with both of these issues including purchasing a replacement should the poppy be lost. My concern with the response about wearing it how one chooses being equated with freedom seemed at best disrespectful and at worst anarchy-inducing. Freedoms we have include speech, assembly, religion and others. With these freedoms come rights as well as responsibilities. The latter involve following mandated rules and respecting those who serve and have served. So, to me it seemed disrespectful to put one's own comfort or ideas ahead of those of the poppy vendors -- the veterans themselves. For two weeks of the year, this shouldn't be too much to ask, should it? I've realized that to me 'freedom' isn't that childish desire I had to 'get to do anything I want' but rather it is something that holds responsibility to act within the laws and social expectations.

Not surprisingly, my remembrance today involves music from major conflicts <smile>. I still own a functional wind-up record player complete with many discs from World War I; it belonged to my grandparents. The World War II songs were ones that my dad and grandfather played often. I know many songs well from each of these wars. Today I've chosen to share a couple of these, though choosing was very difficult. Enjoy!

It's  Long Way to Tipperary -- Albert Farrington



The White Cliffs of Dover -- Vera Lynn


No comments:

Post a Comment