Wednesday 19 November 2014

Day 322 -- Grocery Shopping Quest

Grocery shopping -- why can't it be easier?  After work I headed to one of our two grocery stores to pick up about 10 items. These are items that this store carries and the other one doesn't or they were things from the flyer this week. It is the store with the layout that drives me mad. They are so busy trying to look like a bigger store, that they don't realize that no one can find things. It makes me a bit frustrated on a good day. Suffice it to say, today was not a good shopping day.

I walked out with 5 items -- three from the list and two others that I was in need of, but hadn't made it to the master list. One item that I didn't find has not been on the shelf for almost two months, though the shelf tag and empty space remain.  Several other items showed vacant spaces, too, and these were not on sale. The sale items were simply no where to be found -- not even an empty shelf space. The one item that this store carries that I can't find elsewhere in town is baked nacho chips. I could not find any corn chips, though there is an aisle for potato chips -- really, that is all that is there. As I checked out I was hoping the cashier wouldn't ask me if I found everything, as I knew I would not be able to hold back the frustration. Instead, she chatted the entire time to the woman behind me who used to work there, but after 10 years had been fired. She told her former co-worker how sick it made her to be shopping there -- I turned to her and said that is exactly how I felt. By now two former co-workers had joined into the conversation and I was the response to -- 'One of these things is not like the other' <sigh>. I had been muttering for some time as I walked by all the marketing and admin suits in the store trying to put things in new places so we could all play hide and seek. Frankly, that was my last visit for anything of note.

I had an hour today to shop and then get home. I had to go to the second grocery outlet and get the needed items. Again, a few empty spots on the shelves, but not for the must haves on the list. Those I got. So two hours later I headed home. The title and first verse of today's selection summed up my feelings from this adventure. Enjoy!

Lost in the Supermarket -- The Clash


No comments:

Post a Comment