Monday 15 December 2014

Day 348 -- Holiday Wishes

Today held but a single focus -- well almost <smile>. Besides doing a couple loads of laundry, I spent the entire day grading final exams. Several questions are now completed, but several more to go. It is a difficult task that is unlike any other I've ever encountered. I've spoken to many colleagues and it seems this is what it is -- no amount of trying can make it go faster or improve the efficiency. Some work just a few hours a day -- in ideal circumstances. There are years when exam schedules don't allow this and most people I encounter use the binge method of marking and work to get it done -- this often means 10-12 hours daily. I have done up to 16 hours in one day, but only when things were due almost immediately. That is far from ideal <smile>.

From the few glimpses out the window it is grey and a bit rainy -- so still above freezing <smile>. I hope to walk out for milk and to the mail box tomorrow as one of my breaks.  I think it will be good to see other people for a few moments <grin>. One thing that I've discovered today is that there are some very bad take-offs of A Christmas Carol in movie form filling TV screens -- really, really bad. And one particularly egregious Princess Diary wanna be. I'm not watching movies, but have the TV on in the background when I grade to help block out other external noise. I switched to the Weather Network several times to avoid the irritating movies -- though I'm not sure they deserve to be called movies <smile>.

The musical selection today is wishful -- something that comes to my mind at this time of year in particular -- Christmas and final exams. It is written by a Canadian singer-songwriter and carries a wonderful sentiment. Enjoy!

Maybe This Christmas -- Ron Sexsmith


No comments:

Post a Comment