Saturday 27 December 2014

Day 361 -- Preparing for a New Beginning

Today, I began to get through the year end cleaning of house, clutter and thoughts. Lots of housecleaning today and more sorting and clearing tomorrow.  I always do this sort of thing so that there is a fresh beginning for the New Year. Part of the process is to clean away the old dirt -- like spring cleaning but in December, this involves getting out the new linens and clothes to use and wear in the new year.  My grandmother and a friend from her childhood exchanged tea-towels at Christmas every year. This ensured that they each had a new towel for the new year. Often these were handmade or decorated towels.  It is a tradition that my Mom and I continue with each other each Christmas. This year she gave me a tea-towel and handmade dish cloths.  Small things, but they mean a lot.

Cleaning through thoughts takes a lot more work. It is exhausting but in a different way than vacuuming. Trying to find a way around some of the negative thoughts so that I feel fresh at the beginning of the Winter term is necessary. Without this, I'd not get through the term well. Managing that inner voice can be challenging, since that voice is the root of anxiety, fear and insecurity. There are several difficult tasks that need attention at the beginning of the year, so getting this somewhat under control could help move through those more smoothly.

Regardless of whether it is clutter you can see or clutter you can feel, removing and reorganizing it all can make it new. The lyrics of today's selection speak to a new beginning. Today the title line ran through my head often. The singer/songwriter is one of my favourites who lived many new beginnings. Enjoy!

Just Like Starting Over -- John Lennon




No comments:

Post a Comment