Sunday 2 August 2015

Day 2 - 213 -- Heat and Appetite

Today seemed even warmer than yesterday. Thankfully there was a breeze when I was out walking -- moving air always helps to diminish the discomfort of humidity and heat. There were very few people out on Main Street or in the two drug stores I stopped by. I hope many of them were somewhere cool or spending time at the beach or cottage. They tell us the humidity should abate somewhat overnight and into tomorrow. I hope this means the air overnight can help cool the house a bit while we sleep.

This type of weather can impact appetite and food choices. It is definitely ice cream and cool beverage weather <smile> but many people seem to have a diminished appetite during heat waves. Drinking calories doesn't lead to feeling full, so we can easily consume more than we think. Keeping hydrated is important, though. Fun foods abound with picnic and barbecue events. Eating outdoors can be novel for those of us who can only do this comfortably for half the year. I've often said that we try to pack 12 months of living into 3 months of summer -- not really doable, but at least we are trying to fit in the fun stuff. 

Interestingly, a song lyric from the early '60s ran through my head this afternoon. It is from a pre-rock genre by a singer from the swing and jazz eras. The song is a bit more upbeat than I felt at the time, but it covers a lot of the thoughts I had. Enjoy!

Lazy, Crazy, Hazy Days of Summer -- Nat King Cole


No comments:

Post a Comment