Thursday 13 August 2015

Day 2 - 224 -- Trying to Fill the Blank Page

The past 8 days have been filled with trying to gather my disparate and scattered thoughts to write a coherent document. That is a challenge. Today was no different as I moved along to the next course that needs a revised outline for me to use in September. Updating existing courses that will follow much the same outline of content as the previous year takes much less time and mental gymnastics. Revising an outline to include new material while cutting out perfectly good material to make room adds so many new layers of complexity to the task. All I can say is that it is moving forward at the pace of a slug on the sidewalk -- painfully slowly.

Focusing on writing can be difficult for me. I have ideas and need a clear outline produced and then I can begin to populate that outline with all the details. Writing something new is much harder for me than editing and revising existing text. I am an editor in brain and heart. One of my favourite quotes from a t-shirt I really should have purchased years ago is "Is anal-retentive spelled with a hyphen?" <grin> Someday, I'd love to work as an editor of books or journals. I do much peer review for many journals, but I'd like to work at putting the final journal together -- to see the flow of the content of each issue and draw the threads of connectivity together in a 'from the editor' type column.

I love writing, but that blank page or screen takes much to begin to see it filled. A lyric line about seeing the blank page and just moving to writing came to mind today. Took me a while to find the song it belonged to, but thank goodness Mr. Google knew where to look <smile>.  The lyrics and music ebb and flow, much like words when writing. Some sentences come so slowly while others pour over themselves trying to get to the page. Enjoy!

Unwritten -- Natasha Bedingfield


No comments:

Post a Comment