Wednesday 19 August 2015

Day 2 - 230 -- Alone but not Lonely

So focused on working this week that it is difficult to come up for air and to look around. That and the heat feels like a barrier, too. Being alone to focus has always been my way of working. It is definitely how I write and do other creative activities. I don't mind being by myself and sometimes really just want to be alone to read, write, or watch a movie.

In graduate school for the masters degree, there was a bit of writing and gathering data on my own. I was in the grad student office with 4 to 6 others most days. By the time I was working on the PhD, I found myself at home more than in the office. Data collection required a/v equipment that I had at home, so that meant less time in a lab setting or in the office. I wrote most of the dissertation from home, too. I needed so much room to spread out all the piles of data and references and such, that it just wouldn't happen in the office. I'd been told going into that last degree that the process was extremely isolating. They didn't lie. But the isolation was often time in a library, with a desktop computer, with data collection processes. Reflecting on the process once the writing was done, I realized that it was also isolating since it requires work on a narrow area for which there was no other expert around. There are other experts out there -- but not close enough to sit together for a chat. The passion I felt (and still do) for the topic area of study makes me want to discuss things with someone else with a similar passion. I found some relief with online communities during the early days of Newsnet -- there were several research groups yet none combined the areas I did -- there were just single area groups, though they were better than no one <smile>

So -- while self-imposed isolation for work or to recharge can be both satisfying and frustrating, most times I find being alone is pleasant. During such times even a phone call or the constant binging of new e-mail are unwelcome interruptions. Not that I am anti-social, but I'm in the zone and just need to forge on to get things done. This reminded me of a song  from the early days of one of the major rock groups still performing into later adulthood <smile>.The video shows these baby-faced kids <grin>. Enjoy!

Get off of my Cloud -- The Rolling Stones


No comments:

Post a Comment