Thursday 3 May 2018

Day 5 - 123 -- Positive Interactions

Cold air greeted me when I left the house this morning. I was happy that my stretchy gloves were in my jacket pocket though a heavier fleece layer might have been a better choice. It was 5C then and had been 15C a mere 9 hours earlier. Temperature aside, the day brought some great moments. A meeting demonstrated great collegiality and the democratic process. It was wonderful that the final meeting of that group until the fall term ended on this note. Lunch was our department version of a stone soup lunch. The incoming dietetic interns completed their orientation today, which is celebrated by a lunch they cook from the ingredients faculty provide. It is always a fantastic vegetable soup with rolls and a fruit crisp. Today, there was also the awarding of two renewing scholarships for the three practicum terms. I enjoyed the excited, happy chatter during the meal -- some will graduate this weekend, while the others are between third and fourth years. Placements begin next week, so they will all be out in the field with preceptors learning the practical application of the classroom work of the past three or four years. So exciting.

When thinking of the convocation events I find myself being a bit emotional. I remember all the times I walked across the stage to get a diploma and all the years of watching students I've come to know make a similar trip. It can be difficult not to feel proprietary -- they aren't 'my' students <smile>. It has been a gift to watch them grow into the young adults heading into a career. I wonder what will transpire during their decades in the professional field -- such intriguing areas of knowledge are evolving. They explained the feelings of excitement, fear, anxiety and hope -- the underpinnings of how humans approach change.

Reflecting on the human interactions encountered today, lines from a song came to mind. These lyrics note the need for  positive communication between people and stress the importance of  collaboration. The full lyric brings many positive messages about human kindness. Enjoy!

Nothing More -- The Alternate Routes


No comments:

Post a Comment