Thursday 24 May 2018

Day 5 - 144 -- Interrupted Plans

This has been written about before including in this blog. How can we best deal with unexpected events that intrude with our plans for the day? Today I was still waiting for the system to lock me out. Got through yesterday without a hitch. Today just after 3:30, I went to the printer and it refused to log me in to the system. <sigh> I called the IT desk and the person that answered said, "You're going to have to take me to dinner if you keep calling this much." That made me laugh. He generally has just said, "Locked out again??"  So -- while we kibitzed a bit, he checked and found indeed I was locked out. In mere seconds I could log on again. Now this can be fixed, provided it is within the IT desk working hours. Though, it does mean that messages and e-mail don't flow as expected when whatever or whoever has forced me 'offline.'  When I want to be in touch for ongoing conversations or if waiting for news, it doesn't come through. I'm not even sure the e-mails I send go through once I've been unlocked again. Tomorrow I have an in office appointment booked with an IT Tech so hopefully things can begin to be sorted out. Now, we did get notice that about 2 doorways from my office door, there will be a jackhammer digging through concrete flooring for two smaller construction pieces -- replacement of a sink in the lounge area and building of a real wall where there has been a folding room divider for several decades. This will make the office a distinctly different room. Worthwhile projects for certain, but I hope the jackhammer work is done before I arrive for a noon meeting -- and that it won't disrupt the IT visit. Again, unexpected happenings will reign.

Some days when one is tired or overly stressed, anything that interferes or even threatens to interfere with the inviolable plan can result in a colossal eruption of emotions. This could be a comment from someone, the externally forced need to rework the priority list, or the failure of high or low tech assistants. The ability to problem solve or find a 'work around'  vanishes. Panic ensues. Learning to find a healthier response takes much work. Some days I manage to laugh at the absurdities of a situation. Other days still present a challenge. Today was one of the good days. When feeling extra tense, I often go for a walk with my earbuds in and feel better after that 15 minutes of activity -- likely due to improved breathing but also due to finding a more reasoned way to look at things. In short, to get over myself <smile>.

A song that fit these pondering so well came to mind. The title that is a repeated chorus-like lyric says it all. This is sung by a Canadian, frontman for a well-known band. This version includes a cool bass guitar solo of sorts. Enjoy!

Walk Like You Don't Mind -- Jim Cuddy (Blue Rodeo)


No comments:

Post a Comment