Sunday 6 May 2018

Day 5 - 126 -- Walking into the Future

Bright and early this morning, I worked to get student hoods straight and everyone lined up in order for convocation. This is a crazy time and begins before 8 AM -- not my favourite time of day. This, though is worth getting to work early. The excitement in the gym with several hundred graduating students is electric. Students wish each other well across all programs -- one of the key benefits of a smaller university. Later, as they walked off the stage after receiving their parchments, fortuitously I was positioned next to that aisle. This allowed me to congratulate each of them as they walked back to their seats. What a gift that is! It is also another benefit of a smaller university -- I knew all the graduating students in our program.

Today signifies the end of that long good-bye. Graduates meet later this evening for the Gala and spend their last hours together as a class into the wee hours of tomorrow. Then, they all head in their individual directions. I admit to having tears at all events of the weekend. Homecoming occurs every October, and students will meet each other there over the coming years, particularly for the decade anniversaries. Some will be in daily contact while others may drift down a different path. But at class reunions they will meet again and it may be as those I've attended -- like it was just a while ago we'd said good-bye and we pick up as if years haven't passed. I wish that for the 2018 class.

In my head, I heard lyrics from a musical. The central topic is somewhat different than convocation, but many of the words fit so well with the events of today and my wish for the students. The final line of the song reflects the learning that occurred over the past years -- student and faculty learning. It also speaks to another wish of mine -- that in some small way I helped them see the world in a different way. I know that my view has changed from their input. The version of the song shared here is by an amazing actress who has the power in her voice to do this song justice. Enjoy!

As if We Never Said Goodbye -- Glenn Close (from Sunset Boulevard)


No comments:

Post a Comment