Tuesday 1 May 2018

Day 5 - 121 -- Interrupted Sleep

The day began at 4 AM when I woke to pouring rain. Usually this brings comfort -- I love the sound of rain on the roof. My mind immediately went to the car door and had visions of water flowing into the interior through the door handles. I was also starving. This occurs every so often, but not too regularly. So -- I made chai and toast --the usual 'go to' for this situation. When 45 minutes later my stomach was still demanding food, I got up at 5 AM to make a scrambled egg on toast, thinking the protein would help with satiety. It did. So, at 6 I was sure I'd fall back to sleep. At 7, I said that I might as well get up now and start the day in earnest. Instead, I fell back to sleep and awoke after 9. I chose not to eat breakfast number 3, and headed into the office. As several smaller things on the 'to do' list were completed, they were replaced instantly by something new. So, while things did get done the list is the same length as it was at the start of the day. <smile> Funny how that happens.

I found myself beginning to think of the research writing that needs to be done in the coming months. I even found a great reference article that has several great-sounding papers in the reference list. Score! I've been finding bits of support materials for different writing projects and haven't let myself settle in to reading them until this one today. It is work, but it does feel freeing. Hard to explain that, but this is the 'me' stuff, that 'fun' stuff that I entered academia to do. I had been doing this sort of thing in my off hours when working in Public Health years ago. I like research and research writing, It has been difficult to find the time to devote to it though. I do have a plan to tackle the backlog and the new stuff. We'll see how that pans out in the coming months <grin>.

I'm hoping that I can get to sleep and stay asleep tonight. Otherwise, I fear there will be a headache or extreme crankiness in the coming couple of days. It is rare that this carries on for more than a single disrupted night, but as I keep telling students, "never say never." <grin> A song by a Canadian group seemed perfect to explain the frustrations of a night with something interrupting sleep for a few hours. The lyrics tell the story -- my story -- fairly well. Enjoy!

Who needs sleep? -- The Barenaked Ladies


No comments:

Post a Comment