Wednesday 9 May 2018

Day 5 - 129 -- Gazing Skyward

As I walk to the car each day, I'm staring up into the tree branches. Sometimes I'm trying to spot the bird with the unique whistle but recently I've been assessing the buds -- most look like they are ready to burst forth in the front yard. This happened over the weekend in the back yard. This is intriguing since the maples there bud and blossom earlier than the front yard varieties and yet they lose their leaves almost 2 weeks after the front yard is down. Intriguing. At work I was staring up at the magnolia blossoms on the tree in front of the building and later at the jet contrails of two flights headed east. While at work, I was staring at computer screens which showed that the system was not cooperating with me. Once outside again, I looked at the clouds and felt a bit more relaxed.

Looking up has many positive metaphorical meanings. The physical action of looking up takes one away from the hunched shoulders and muscle tension. It stretches the neck and shoulder muscles helping to provide some relief from the stiffness. It can also take the mind outside oneself by drawing attention to stars, planes, clouds, birds and all manner of things to engage the imagination. Where are the planes heading? For that matter, where are all the crows off to roost tonight? What do the cloud shapes look like? Or we might just take stock of how far a plant has grown or the colour changes in leaves as the season progresses. So many other topics exist to intrigue the mind and show us that our struggles may not be as huge as we make them appear <smile>.

A song from a newer album from a Canadian group entered my head this morning. It really fit with my skyward gazing today. Love the title of this latest album -- Fake Nudes. Enjoy!

Lookin' Up -- The Barenaked Ladies


No comments:

Post a Comment