Tuesday 8 May 2018

Day 5 - 128 -- Laughing

I was feeling tense throughout the day. I was awake early with a barking dog -- like 30 minutes of barking beginning about 4:30 AM. I love dogs, but not that loud and at that hour. That said, I did get some sleep after that, but felt a bit off all day. I was writing for a presentation later in the week and had a meeting that created stress by asking this introvert to make a decision on the spot. I don't do that well as it isn't the way my brain works. So -- when I left the office I felt physically tense and had to head to the grocery store -- which is a recipe for disaster. Luckily, things went fairly well. On a second stop, I had the chance to speak with two former students working at another retail outlet. Then the bakery made regular sized muffins rather than the 3-in-1 size that seems usual in the marketplace at present. So - more good things. At home I made supper and put away groceries. When I had a moment I checked into social media and found a post from a family member that recounted a series of unusual events. It was written in a way that brought laughter at the absurdity of the situations. I laughed until I ran out of oxygen and my abdominal muscles hurt. I think I scared the furry one. But it felt so good.

The day reminded me that laughter can be so cathartic. There is a reason that we are subject to uncontrollable laughter. Yes, things can be funny, but some things at just the right time can bring on that extended laugh experience that leaves us feeling a bit drained but so much better.  Odd, eh?  Kids seem more prone to such episodes. Does that mean that being an adult makes us inhibited more and forces a more controlled response? I hope not. Laughing with abandon should not be shameful. Well, unless you are laughing at someone or something that isn't considered to be funny but hurtful. So -- perhaps we should find things that can make us laugh and spend time with them regularly. Is it playing with an animal or a sitcom -- even in reruns? Whatever you find, stick with it and don't be afraid to laugh.

A song that seemed to fit the pondering of the evening is sung by a comedienne, actor and singer. Enjoy!

Laughing Matters -- Bette Midler


No comments:

Post a Comment