Friday 4 May 2018

Day 5 - 124 -- Management

There is something hiding behind my right shoulder -- the need to deal with a large undertaking at the office. I'm trying to focus on this 'one bird at a time' -- the advice given to a grade 5 student when he worried about how to write a report on the birds of North America. The large task tries to step out into my peripheral vision hoping to move into full view. I keep pushing it back. I know it is there, but I've parked it there. That helps me to choose when I want to look at it and how much I will see in a single viewing. Without this preservation technique, I worry about being overwhelmed. For now, the fear of anxiety will be managed. There will be moments of weakness when it steps out from hiding, but giving myself permission to 'manage' it should help me move forward with the huge task.

Fear of anxiety-- I wrote that up there. Hmmm. That sounds somewhat tautological -- repeating concepts sometimes in a circular argument. The fear may be of worsening anxiety, for the fear is itself a form of anxiety. If the fear takes over it becomes the downward spiral I've mentioned in past posts. Dealing with anxiety -- or whatever  other word is used to describe the broader notes of being anxious -- takes practice. When tired, one forgets to manage before being fully overtaken. Then managing takes so much more energy to shove it all into a corner, energy that may not be present. Reminding oneself  to check in regularly can stop this process before it gets a strangle hold. However, having someone else around who can encourage grounding helps tremendously.

Today was a good day for managing the project. I made a lengthy list of steps involved and chose one to start the process. Knowing that some parts have been done -- however small -- brings positive feelings and encouragement to continue. My other management point for the day was to watch whichever Star Wars movie Canadians voted for as their fave on Showcase channel. Happily, my favourite seems to be in the majority today -- The Empire Strikes Back. Needless to say, the music of the day was a no brainer <grin>. Two iconic themes by John Williams are shared with you all today. May the fourth be with you! Enjoy!

Star Wars Theme -- John Williams



Star Wars -- The Imperial March -- John Williams



No comments:

Post a Comment