Friday 11 May 2018

Day 5 - 131 -- Remembering

Today I did something I'd never done before -- spoke at a memorial tree dedication. The tree -- a gorgeous magnolia -- was chosen to honour a colleague who passed away a few years ago. The group chose this tree for its strength, beauty and steadfastness. I've called magnolias 'impossible trees'-- due to the huge flowers on skinny branches. It just seems surreal. It is a sign of spring that I now look forward to. Being from the prairies, these trees were new to me when I moved east. They are just plain amazing. The man the tree memorializes always had our backs, fighting for the program when and wherever needed. He cared deeply for his family and at work, for the students and his colleagues. He was unique. He could make a person laugh just when they most needed this. He had an amazing sense of humour, too. I could see his smile and hear his laugh this week when the large yellow magnolia blossomed pink <smile>.

The turnout was wonderful despite the cooler temperature. Trees have been planted around campus to remember other colleagues. This one stands in front of our building at the corner where he waited for his ride home at the end of the day. It felt good to see this plan come together today. Passing by the tree will be a wonderful reminder. I do pause at other trees to remember and say a few words. I think the trees are a lovely way to remember our friends, colleagues and mentors. I'm glad this is done on campus. It provides a type of closure.

Finding a song took me in many directions today, but I settled on one that was recorded as a memory for a friend. It relates somewhat obscurely to trees, too. Enjoy!

Free as a Bird -- The Beatles 


No comments:

Post a Comment