Wednesday 5 December 2018

Day 5 - 338 -- Cold & Celebrations

Today I walked out for an office Christmas lunch. Temperatures have dropped and it felt brisk when walking. It was a pleasant sort of cold that reminded me of the drier cold of the prairies. It wasn't as cold as it gets there, but it was colder than it has been here this season. Sharing this holiday meal brought many interesting conversations and much laughter. After lunch, I walked up to campus for a meeting with the wind directly in my face most of the way --luckily only a light breeze, though nonetheless cold. Another phone meeting for a research project occurred later in the afternoon, followed by a number of project updates being sent to the others involved in each one. The walk home in the inky darkness was again cold with north winds in my face. Having a good scarf helped keep the cheeks from freezing <smile>.

Social media posts reminded me that today is Dutch Christmas. Sinterklaas visits children tonight to leave gifts in shoes or stockings. A number of Dutch immigrants settled in the county a few generations ago, so there will be many celebrating St. Nicholas Eve and Day tonight and tomorrow. To wish everyone celebrating a lovely time, I chose to share the only song that I know of in Dutch -- from a movie, of course. NOTE: the song runs about 1:01-1:25 in this short clip. Enjoy!

Sinterklaas Kapoentje -- from Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

No comments:

Post a Comment