Friday 21 December 2018

Day 5 - 354 -- Winter Begins

The day began with a car appointment for oil change. The dealership is out by one of our grocery stores, so I stopped in for the dozen items I needed. This store was crazed -- more than the one I visited yesterday. We are expecting a storm tonight into Saturday. Add the usual shopping silliness for for such events with the coming holiday feasts and you get the weirdness I encountered. I spoke to a worker in the produce section, when an item from the flyer was not found in the empty counter where it should be. I asked if there were any more in the back. I learned they had ordered 53 flats, none of which were delivered a expected today. There may be some arriving tonight or Saturday, but I may just wait until next week. Waiting to check out had long lines at all registers -- and every one was open. There was the self-checkout space reasonably open, but I choose not to use this since it reduces the number of people that may be hired as cashiers. As I left, I encountered a colleague just entering. I asked, "Are you sure you want to go in there?" Sadly, it isn't likely to get better in the coming three days, so he braved the throng and was considering using the self-checkout to avoid the longer lineups.

At home this afternoon I worked on the final piece of writing that was due this week. I polished my thoughts and think is sounds reasonable, but we'll let the reviewers make that decision. <smile> It was sent off likely after offices closed in other time zones of the co-writers. I hope they leave it to sit and review it after the holidays. In no way, do I want to interfere with someone's time away from work. I've had encounters with that from outside sources in the past, and am still dealing with that from my within myself. After working 80+ hours a week for two decades, it is difficult not to feel anxious if not doing several things at once or constantly working on projects. I've been trying to limit work to office time only and not bring it home. Learning to fit personal projects into the schedule will take further attention, but I'm assured by others that it will happen.

Today brought with it the beginning of winter with the winter solstice. To me, the good news is that the days begin to get longer now. <smile>  The moon is full tonight, though with the cloud cover from the approaching storm, it is not visible. Much of the precipitation will be in the form of rain, which won't wash away the snow as many say. Some will leave, but the 3 meter pile at the grocery store parking lot will not leave any time soon -- even with double digit temps on the plus side of freezing. The ground is partly frozen now, so there may be ponding, which turn to ice skating ponds with the return of winter temperatures. With all this in mind, another song from the concert last night will be shared here. This is a live version by two great voices. Enjoy!

Winter Song -- Sarah Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson



No comments:

Post a Comment