Wednesday 26 December 2018

Day 5 - 359 -- (re)Connecting

Boxing Day -- the day after Christmas -- is a holiday that has been around since middle ages. Then alms to the poor were distributed and years later servants were given gifts in boxes often accompanied by the day off. Interestingly, the day has become a commercial day of sales -- sales that often begin several days before the 26th. I'm not sure things are as deeply discounted as people hope. It may be more hype than savings. Fighting through crowds has never been my favourite pastime, so I avoid stores and malls on this day. On the up side it was a sunny day, still cold but without winds, so very pleasant.

I chatted by phone with a friend and with family members. It was good to have a quick chat and wish them the best of season. Supper was with friends who cooked turkey dinner today. The food was yummy as always. When home I carried the garbage to the curb for early morning pickup tomorrow. Two people were walking up the hill as I walked out the driveway. One stopped on the sidewalk as I walked past to the curb in the dark. He then asked how I was and wished me a happy new year. At that point, I recognized the voice of an older neighbour I hadn't seen for a couple of years. He and his wife chatted about weather and general pleasantries. I left with a smile, for seeing him again and for this positive aspect of living in a small town and neighbourhood.

When back in the house, it was difficult to find anything to watch on TV, until I found the Kennedy Center Honours. I came in at the midpoint, so missed several other musical recipients that would have had great tributes. At the end of the program was the honouring of Cher. It was delightful to see the audience singing along and often singing to their partners. I enjoyed the songs they chose that spanned several decades. I chose to share two of those songs tonight.  The first is from the mid-1960s -- an upbeat sound with rather pleading lyrics. The second is from over 30 years later with a very different sound --a  techno dance genre. Enjoy!

Baby Don't Go -- Sonny and Cher




Believe -- Cher




No comments:

Post a Comment