Friday 21 December 2018

Day 5 - 353 -- Bright Lights All Around

The day was filled with bright sunlight - for whole day. Skies remained clear into the evening so the nearly full moon was visible. I spent the day running errands and trying to clear up work files that needed to be ended or held until the New Year. I made it through most of these, but missed one deadline that will have to wait until tomorrow now. I began the day at one of the two grocery stores. As I drove through town in mid-morning, there seemed to be few cars on the road. I know I said out loud, "I bet they're all at the mall." Well, I wasn't far off the mark. The grocery store is in the same large compound as the mall. Inside things were a bit crazed. It was the day pension cheques arrive and there is a holiday on the way. I got the dozen or so items I needed and headed home. As I was driving out of the parking lot, I realized I had planned to go to one other store. Had I remembered, I would have walked over and not attempted to find another parking spot. Needless to say things were a madhouse in the parking lot, so I managed to extricate myself and the car unscathed and just headed to the office. During the day, I received some positive news that some travel expenses would be covered when I had not expected this. Good news.

In the evening, a friend and I attended a fundraiser for the local Affordable Housing Society. The musical evening reminded me of a Christmas pageant, though most of the performers were adults. The songs were fantastic and ranged from old Christmas folk songs to modern era selections. Some were instrumentals -- great harp, keyboard, trumpet, guitar and even an Appalachian dulcimer -- while others mixed vocals with instruments or simply sang acapella.  A modern dance school provided three short pieces set to Christmas songs. The Sisters of St. Martha provided lovely acapella carols and ended with an audience sing-along of Silent Night, where the group leader sand an amazing descant. It gave me goose bumps. It was a wonderful evening and the theatre was almost full. The show will be repeated again tomorrow night. On the walk home last night, we came in through the back way -- through a parking lot and behind a building into my back yard. Generally, I use a small flashlight to guide my steps for a short part of the journey. Last night, the moonlight was so bright, I didn't need to use the flashlight at all. It was amazing. It is full tomorrow, but expect cloud cover, so I was pleased to see it tonight.

Two colleagues sang a duet that I love -- both musical folks from our talented community. I knew when I heard the opening notes that this song would be highlighted in the blog today. I've chosen the version I heard first -- one that has become iconic in its juxtapositions. Enjoy!

Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy -- Bing Crosby and David Bowie




No comments:

Post a Comment