Wednesday 26 December 2018

Day 5 - 358 -- Memories of Christmas Past

Looked out the window this morning to find the ground had changed colour -- it is white. A very thin layer of snow blew in overnight -- sea effect snow -- but very little there. A broom would move the bits off the stairs. I was a bit surprised and somewhat disappointed. Green Christmas days work for me particularly when we've had so much snow in mid- to late-fall. But this shouldn't have created difficulty for any travelers today.  Dinner was amazing with a group of university folks. More food than usual, but it is a feast day after all. I expect there will be lesser intake tomorrow <smile>. Great conversations, with much laughter filled the evening. It reminded me of rambunctious holiday dinners at my grandparents with many of the nine children home with their families. It could get rather loud, but was filled with laughter, too. I feel blessed to have been part of the celebrations with this group today. It brought back to mind some of the chaotic excitement of years gone by.

In her annual address this morning, the Queen noted that it was the centenary of the Nine Lessons and Carols Christmas service by King's College Choir Cambridge. Her address ended with the processional carol sung by a wonderful young male voice. this stirred a distant memory much like the gathering today. I can't recall when I heard the song last, but I knew many of the words. I share that song here today so that others can experience the amazing chorale group and soloist. Enjoy!

Once in Royal David's City -- Choir of Kings College, Cambridge (2016)


No comments:

Post a Comment