Sunday 23 December 2018

Day 5 - 356 -- Welcomed Sunshine

Gorgeous sunshine greeted me in the kitchen today. No precipitation fell, just the wonderful sun. I walked out for milk to enjoy the sun. The wind made it feel a bit sharp, since the temperatures have been falling overnight and will again overnight tonight. It was an enjoyable walk. I completed some baking -- three dozen of the cookies my mother made every year. They are a mild spice cookie with raisins and cut dried fruit. The one I tested this afternoon with a mug of chai brought good memories. I also cooked the vegetables for a dish I'll make on Christmas day and cooked down apples for the beginnings of spiced applesauce. Those await in the freezer for a later afternoon effort. So, the day was somewhat productive.

Most of the movies on TV today were not holiday movies,except for 'Valentines Day'  -- a misplaced holiday. I watched parts of a couple of the offerings, but didn't find anything that held my attention. I will need to watch some dvd movies tomorrow if I want Christmas themed shows, I guess. The drug store that I visited today for milk had a full parking lot and cars parking in the driving lanes waiting for people. It was a very busy place. I was happy to be getting only a couple of items and not doing the full on shopping many others were dealing with. No amount of money could get me to go to the big grocery stores or mall today or tomorrow. I am not one to finish shopping early in the year, but being part of the frenetic atmosphere of Christmas Eve or Boxing Day shopping is not part of my plans - ever. I can head up later in the week when crowds have picked the place clean -- like a swarm of locusts. Perhaps this is one time that I could consider online shopping, though I'd have to think long and hard about that, too. <smile>

The song shared today may have been heard first by many people in a 1967 Christmas show. It is a traditional Spanish carol that has been around since the 16th century. The a cappella presentation pays homage to the early origins of the melody and lyrics. The group singing provide a beautiful rendition of the carol. Enjoy!

Riu Chiu -- The Monkees

No comments:

Post a Comment