Monday 17 December 2018

Day 5 - 350 -- Need for Concentration

I walked to the office today due to the impending storm. We had a Christmas luncheon with turkey sandwiches and Christmas cookies. Lots of campus people attended -- fun to see everyone together. I walked to the bookstore in the rain with a lot of slippery slush underfoot. By the time I headed home, snow covered the ground and walkways. At least this gave a bit more traction to help us remain upright. While ensconced in the office, I transferred numbers to an electronic spreadsheet from a lab notebook left by a former student. It took much concentration to keep the columns clear once the header had disappeared <smile> and to ensure I entered the correct numbers for each of the many records. Happily, it seems completed and can now be shared with others working on the project.

I realized how easy loss of attention can occur. Doing repetitive tasks can cause a brain to zone out. When this happened today, I interchanged digits from one record with a second record or entered the numbers on different lines or columns than intended. Luckily, this happened only a few times in the 150 records and was caught when I realized I'd repeated numbers or the repeated rhythm changed. Brains can be so intriguing.

A song that demonstrates concentration fits the activities of the afternoon. This unique lyric and melody require clear brain functioning. It is so easy to head off down a different song path. The singer does a superb job, which may have taken a bit of practice <smile>. Enjoy!

Deck the Halls with Sugar Plum Faeries -- James Lee Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment