Saturday 9 March 2019

Day 6 - 67 -- Insomnia Strikes

A day late posting this. Yesterday was a very full day. I woke after 2 hours of sleep. Yes -- that number is a two. I was awake all night with me falling asleep just before the alarm went off. I headed to campus to do an early guest lecture dealing with the nutrition aspects of anxiety and depression in aging adults. We had great discussions there. After the class, I was an invited panelist to provide feedback to student presentations. Their projects dealt with developing, assessing, and recommending solutions to extremely complex (termed wicked) problems. It was a fun process. After lunch I tried to focus on e-mails and paper work, but productivity was waning due to fatigue. A friend called just as I was thinking of heading home and we went for a quick supper instead. I needed that bit of relaxing and conversation. When I got home, I went to bed with a recorded TV show -- a show that I had to replay today as I just fell asleep when I laid down.

Emotional episodes can impact sleep. The frustrations of a day may lead to disrupted sleep or can result in mainly wakefulness. This happens with major stresses and with lesser ones. The latter may even trigger memories of past stresses or trauma. As the brain ages, it is less and less able to adapt to such losses of sleep, leaving individuals in a fatigue filled fog -- operating heavy equipment is not recommended <smile>. The older brain cannot recover from the loss of REM or restorative sleep as readily as a younger brain. In many cases, it can take several nights to begin to recover.

Yesterday was the 74th  birthday of a singer and actor. The song shared here is sung by him. It was written by a Brill Building  duo, Goffen and King. The lyrics speak to the time of day I spent too much time with recently. <smile> Enjoy!

Sometime in the Morning -- Micky Dolenz




No comments:

Post a Comment