Friday 29 March 2019

Day 6 - 87 -- Deep Breath

What a week -- and it isn't Friday yet, either!  Three days of unexpected stressful events. Sleep disrupted twice in a major way, but things seemed better last night. I was so tired at the office today that things took more time that expected to complete. I finally brought the handwritten pages home to type as it was taking longer than I wanted to spend there. I finished them tonight after eating supper and feeling a bit more relaxed in my comfy clothes. I expect the usual routine to return tomorrow.

Finding oneself in the midst of an uncontrollable situation can elicit stress responses. Knowing calming techniques can be useful, but only if able to wrest control from the emotional part of the brain. Anxiety alters eating and sleeping habits further disrupting any sense of routine, which can negatively impact the feeling of having any control whatsoever. Today the ability to breathe deeply more often reappeared -- or at least I became aware of it again. During times of stress, breathing patterns change -- more shallow and rapid. I've often noted that I need to put notes around the house that simply state "breathe" <smile>. I do find myself almost sighing when I go for a walk. Perhaps that is why walking helps me to feel less stressed.

A song lyric that fit these thoughts came to mind today. They present a great philosophical approach to life. The melody and arrangement facilitate relaxation. Enjoy!

Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On -- Jimmy Buffett

No comments:

Post a Comment