Sunday 17 March 2019

Day 6 - 76 -- Acculturation?

Beannachtai na Feile Padraig!
Today is St. Patrick's Day, a day when I celebrate the majority of my familial roots. It is a day when the 'culture' is appropriated by many people with no Irish roots. Sadly, this seems to involve major intakes of alcohol, something that makes me a bit sad. This isn't the way I'd like to celebrate since the stereotype at its core is derogatory -- the drunken Irish. There was a time in the 1840s, when the Irish famine was in full swing, that those suffering from long term hunger staggered and stumbled down streets. Those in the English parliament -- the wealthy landowners -- termed these people drunkards. This ensured there was little support for relieving hunger from those in charge. Today, I'm making stew. I am using beef rather than lamb, but the mixture contains a lot of turnip and potato, both items familiar to my Irish (and the Scots) ancestors. I'm also not wearing green as it represents to me the years of fighting between the orange and the green. 
May the dreams you hold dearest
be those that come true,
And the kindness you spread
keep returning to you.
A favourite song of my Dad came to mind today. The lyrics note the wish of those who emigrated to be able to see their home again. They also note the external attempt to acculturate the Irish.The melody sounds wistful and often brings a tear. The singer is another favourite of my father -- a great baritone. Enjoy!
Galway Bay -- Bing Crosby
         




  

No comments:

Post a Comment