Thursday 14 March 2019

Day 6 - 73 -- Math or Baked Delight?

Today is Pi Day -- March 14 or 3.14. Mass media tell me that to celebrate today, one must eat a piece of pie. If I recall correctly, the Math students had a bake sale today. I was occupied moving papers around my desk to prepare for next week, so I totally forgot about the opportunity.

I thought about the kind of pie I'd make if I were so inclined. The first one that came to mind was a delight called flapper pie -- an old prairie custard pie with meringue topping. I haven't had that for years and making one for myself would be silly as it can't be stored long or frozen successfully. I'm not a true fan of pie crust, preferring crisps or crumbles instead. Therefore, I make fruit fillings and prefer those usually for pies -- single crust if possible. Deep dish plum pie is stunning. Sweet potato pie tastes spicy and feels silky. Raspberry pie reminds me of my grandmother. I recall a raspberry-blueberry blend that was truly amazing. What is your favourite -- if you can narrow down to one type?

As a child, we grew a lot of rhubarb so often had pies and crisps made with it. I've been lucky to have rhubarb patches at several places where I've lived. I had one here until a kind neighbour soul pulled every stock (many, many pounds) thus killing off the plant for the year. The next year was touch and go, but I nursed it along, pulling bits each week over the summer, until I came home one evening to find someone had availed themselves of every stalk again. It has never grown back. I tried to restart one area with new roots, but they just wouldn't take. So, I now rely on the kindness of others for my annual fix. It isn't quite the same as having some regularly over the summer months.

The song for today relates to those pies from my childhood. The singer belonged to a band often featured in this blog. This song is from his solo career. Enjoy!

Rhubarb Pie -- John Fogerty

No comments:

Post a Comment