Sunday 5 May 2019

Day 6 - 124 -- Candlelit evening

After a mundane day around the house, I headed up to campus for the farewell for students who graduate tomorrow. The evening was cool with drizzle -- much as the whole day had been. I wore an extra layer under my academic gown to keep me warm while lining up outside. The ceremony was filled with short speeches and the traditional events of the presentation of academic hoods and filling the time capsule for this graduating class. This year there were several serious additions such as a teal ribbon for the 'me too' movement along with a hope that when the capsule was reopened, that sexual assault on campus would be in the past. They also paid homage to the former foodservice director who passed away, by placing a snack and sign from the 'snack corner' began in his honour.

Upon leaving the chapel, students formed an honour guard with their lit candles, through which the admin and faculty walked. We then formed a procession headed up the hill to the reception. We were the first to walk on the new switch-back style ramps up the hill -- making it much more accessible than the numerous stairs that had been in previously. When I got to the top of the hill, I looked down to see the zigzag of students and candles moving up the ramps. It was gorgeous. I will admit to thinking of what it might look like with light sabres -- it was Star Wars day after all (May the 4th be with you <grin>).

Given my odd meanderings into sci-fi territory this evening, an odd song selection came to mind. It is based on one of my favourite Star Wars quotes -- from Yoda -- "Do or do not; there is no try." <grin> Enjoy!

Try (just a little bit harder) -- Janis Joplin and Kosmic Blues Band






No comments:

Post a Comment