Wednesday 15 May 2019

Day 6 - 134 -- What is that??

Recent conversations led to misunderstandings due to regional colloquialisms. The first was 'platinum blonde' said in a joking manner to relate to grey-haired people. We used that phrase throughout my childhood and I've used it for years. Until recently, no one has questioned me. This made me realize the different nouns used in various parts of the country for the same item. As a child, I found the words for 'sofa' to be most interesting. We didn't use sofa. A chesterfield sat in our living room. My grandmother had a Winnipeg couch and a davenport -- these seem to fold down differently to form a bed. I wear a pullover hooded sweatshirt -- the term we used when I was a kid.  I've had people say they liked my 'sweater' - a term that always surprises me. In Saskatchewan, these are called 'bunny hugs' presumably due to the big pocket with a left and right opening. In the Maritimes, these are called hoodies. Most seem to be  pull on, but I do have one with a zip front. I'm not sure if that changes the name or not <smile>. 

Using different words shows the variation in language by region. Each area has different cultural makeup, which might lead to such differences. Or, it may just be differences in marketing efforts at the local level. Regardless of why these differences exist, I find them very interesting and not a barrier to conversing.

A song by a band noted by a friend during one of the recent conversations was chosen for the blog today. The title reflects my feeling on the different phrases used locally -- it adds richness so isn't something to create divisions. The band name will speak for itself <smile> -- and a throwback to the '80s hair bands.

Doesn't Really Matter -- Platinum Blonde


No comments:

Post a Comment