Tuesday 11 June 2019

Day 6 -- 158 -- Overwhelmed

Wow -- just wow. The day began with early check-ins with A/V techs. Had breakfast and walked a bit to try to deal with nerves. Then it was time. The introduction was amazing and brought a tear or two <smile>. Then, there I was walking onto that big stage to give the award lecture. I encountered some small technical bumps when I couldn't read the monitor on the floor, but managed to use my paper notes in those few situations. Before I knew it, I was into the summary slides. It had been very quiet throughout, but with a few laughs where I'd hoped to hear that. They stood and clapped at the end. A few friends and a cousin told me it went well. My recall was a bit sketchy. Then many other people came to congratulate me and have my photo taken with them. Later in the day, I got lunch in the exhibit room and wandered through the booths. There, many introverts came to thank me for telling my story that obviously resonated with them. I know how difficult it can be to walk up to someone you don't know and speak. So, this meant a lot to me. Several people told me their stories. Again, a privilege for me.

The day ended with dinner out with friends at a lovely restaurant in the older part of Byward Market. Lovely food -- a great tomato and avocado salad, followed by gnocchi with mushrooms, shallots and swiss chard and a dessert cheesecake flavoured with lemon and cardamom with balsamic and black pepper meringue and strawberry-rhubarb compote. The whole meal was exquisite and so much more so with friends. I began to relax as the evening progressed. <smile>

The song shared today ended my lecture this morning. The lyrics reflect how I feel about my profession and career. This one is dance-able and I did see people doing that earlier today. I love the vocals of this singer. Enjoy!

This Will Be -- Natalie Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment