Thursday 20 June 2019

Day 6 - 171 -- Magical Stairways

Today I viewed my new abode -- the office on campus. It has adequate room for me and my research files and books. The window -- yes, a window <yay> -- is big and looks out over the town and campus. I hope to revive the plant that I had for years in the teaching office window. Very cool. I met the admin assistant for that building in a hallway that I didn't know existed. Up an outdoor flight of stairs and then up a creaky wooden staircase and down a short hallway, up a short flight of stairs to a longer hallway. I then followed her as she guided me to the room -- down that long hallway, left and up a staircase, down a short hallway and around a corner, up more stairs and the a hall and another short hall and voila -- the office. I wasn't sure I'd find my way out.  After the viewing and short discussion about what I needed to order before moving in the next month or so, I followed her down the 'short stairs' -- a mere two staircases and I was back at the door where I'd entered the building. My thoughts were that this building defies the laws of physics, has a bit of Hogwarts magic thrown in and could be like the hotel California.

The building is actually where two buildings were made to meet and I'm sure there is an addition in there somewhere. It is one of the original buildings that were part of the woman's college Mount St. Bernard. I find it delightful in its age and mystery. Last night I had a dream of my visit. It held much of the magic I encountered today. In the dream, I followed a woman (presumably the admin assistant) as we wandered through hallways and large rooms -- two of which held eateries, a fine dining restaurant and a casual coffee shop. There were offices around the edges of these gigantic rooms. We traversed the meandering hallways and staircases through all manner of spaces and there behind a curtain was my 'office' -- a tiny space with barely room for an office but with a toilet room attached - like maybe others had to trudge through my 'space' to use the facilities. Needless to say the anxiety of that dream felt like it was real this afternoon. Yet, the room has more promise than that tiny space in my dream.

I still feel there is the chance of losing my way should I find myself in the back hallways and in the darkness of winter, that may be quite interesting. A friend noted this could be a place where one goes and is never seen again -- like fairies taking me away. <smile>. Of course, the one song that I said out loud is the selection for today. It is sung by a wonderful group from my youth. the version chosen is an uplugged version that is amazing -- yet oddly disorienting in it difference -- just like the stairs and hallways today. Enjoy!

Hotel California -- Eagles




No comments:

Post a Comment