Thursday 5 September 2019

Day 6 - 247 -- Storm Force Anxiety

Much of the day involved packing boxes to ready the office for the move next week. I've gotten past the halfway point, but what is left is rather bulky things -- many magazine holders filled with journals. These are heavy, which means boxes can't be filled or they'll weigh too much for movers to lift safely.

The talk of the day was the weather forecasts for the weekend. Hurricane Dorian is moving up the east coast of the US and is expected to reach us Saturday evening and into the overnight. We've known of heavy rainfall for several days -- over 2 inches (50 mm) for sure. Wind speeds have been forecast at several levels. This depends on the strength of the storm at landfall. At present predictive models point to something between a Category 1 up to something closer to a Cat 3.  We haven't had one that strong since Juan in 2003. The track of Dorian may make landfall in a similar spot, but will move northeast rather than the more northerly track taken by Juan. Our little town in the woods is in the northeast area. Dealing with rain is major, but storm force winds when the trees are in full leaf bring fear -- or FEAR -- depending on how well the calming exercises go <smile>.

To prepare, I'll bring thing closer to the house so they don't loft as readily. Other items will be tucked away safely from the winds. Inside, the electronics will be charged, power box plugged in to charge, and the go bag(s) will be packed. In the zippered plastic bag with the important papers, I have the list of what needs to go into the bag(s). I haven't packed one of these for a couple of years. Tomorrow, I will also fill the car with gas. I bought milk today, as I'd planned even without the storm. Given the first week with students doing major shopping and now this storm, there is little use heading to the grocery store -- not that there is much I need as there is always adequate amounts in the house. Completing these tasks helps with the anxiety of the unknown of the storm. Besides, I was a Girl Guide, so the 'be prepared' motto has stuck with me. <smile>

I heard a line from a song run through my head repeatedly this afternoon. I will share that here today. Several artists have covered this one, but I've chosen a version by the songwriter. Enjoy!

Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing -- Stevie Wonder




No comments:

Post a Comment