Friday 13 September 2019

Day 6 - 254 -- Looking for New Directions

I was up much earlier than usual today -- before the alarm again <sigh>. I got to the office by 8:40 AM to find that the movers had taken boxes and chairs much earlier. They would have been there right at 8 to get everything onto the truck. A couple of hours later, the office chair from the new office was brought to the old office. My chair was purchased for me with different supports than the standard chairs. So after late morning I had an adjustable chair to sit in and work on the computer. I spent the day puttering with packing things to go home (far less wall space for pictures and diplomas at the new office, so I'll have to store these at home for now. three small boxes, one larger framed photo and active materials from the desktop were packed for me to carry up the many stairs in the new building. They are light so should be easy to take up one day at a time <smile>. On Monday I will disconnect the computer and peripherals and pack the cords and hardware to carry across campus to the new building. Then the great reveal begins as I unpack the many boxes. In the evening I had a phone meeting for a looming writing deadline.

I feel odd about leaving the building that has been my work 'home' for 21 years, except for one sabbatical when I was across campus. The many research spaces over the years have not all been in the same building, so while those work spaces were used, the main space was still back in the home building. Now, my mail will continue to go to the Department office, and I will be just down the street. I will drop in to see people when in to check mail. It is the next step in the transition into retirement and stepping back a bit more from academic goings on.

I have a coaster that I received as a gift. When packing it yesterday, I realized that the phrase was perfect for the office moving situation.
     
       New directions to dream.
       New promises to keep.
       New world to explore.

Some lyric lines floated around my head today. The song is from an album featured two days ago. It must be running though my head this week. These lyrics speak to the positives of change even when it feels like everything is new. Enjoy!

Starting Over -- John Lennon (from Double Fantasy album)


No comments:

Post a Comment