Sunday 8 September 2019

Day 6 - 249 -- Dorian

(written on my table during the storm)

Before noon the breeze picked up a bit and spotty rain began. By mid-afternoon, winds were stronger and gusts began. These seemed about usual for a winter storm -- 45 km sustained with 70 km gusts. the intensity increased by 5 PM, and further strengthened by 8 PM. Looking out the front window terrified me. Tall trees seemed to be bending almost to the ground. They should not bend that way. That vision made me realize my escape route needed amending. Rather than running the gauntlet down the 100 foot driveway under these wildly dancing tees, I would need to dash between two trees and enter the Neighbouring yard to walk out that driveway. No trees on that route -- but flying debris could be anywhere. With the moments of lesser winds, I found myself breathing more deeply. These respites were most welcome.

We lost power very early on when winds were still fairly light as storms go --not yet loud wind. I was surprised. I settled in the kitchen and read a novel that I've had on the go for a while. Light from the window was still enough for the activity albeit much like twilight. By 7 PM, though, I need a flashlight. While seated there, I could see some trees in front and back yards through kitchen and living room windows. In mid-sentence, it sounded like something hit the roof. I got up to check out the back door window and saw a major trunk from a twin trunked maple lying on the ground having taken out a smaller tree sapling as well as another major branch of the larger tree. The noise had been the clothesline being pulled out of the side of the house -- so not the roof. How this larger trunk missed the porch and the roof is a miracle. I read aloud as I felt my voice would help calm the furry one -- and me to be truthful.

Other lesser noises occurred, though that did not make them any less disquieting. I chekced the battery radio on the hour and half hours in hopes of a local weather update.This local station had a syndicated program that lasted several hours. An earlier report noted the power outage was due to downed tree on my street and was being addressed with updates to be posted to the town social media sites. Difficult to get to those with no power or data. I broke down and called the emergency power outage number and found a live person rather than the expected recording. He was very kind, had a very calm voice and a great sense of humour. It helped ease the isolating feeling of being the dark and not being able to see what was occurring out the window any more. Power will be out until mid-morning tomorrow at the earliest.   

Two thoughts that went through my mind during the evening before I went to be in hopes of some sleep. First, I smiled when I realized I was wearing my "There's no place like home" sweatshirt. While this clearly states it refers to Saskatchewan, I felt it made sense should I be flying off to Oz during the storm.  Also, the adage, "there are no atheists in foxholes" may have a corollary that similar things could be said about hurricanes.

While trying to figure out the best place to settle during the storm, I heard the line that includes the title of today's selection. It just wan't exactly clear where I should perch. Everywhere had pros and cons -- some more con than pro. <smile>  I love the early voice of this singer here and admire his amazing poetic oeuvre. Enjoy!

Shelter from the Storm -- Bob Dylan




No comments:

Post a Comment