Monday 10 May 2021

Day 8 - 130 -- Near Miss

 Some sunshine greeted me this morning. We did get some in the hour before sunset last night -- just a sliver of sunshine in the living room coming from the northwest, another sign of summer heading this way. 

The excitement for the day -- making a cup of tea with lunch and the kettle made a major humming and buzzing sound with flames at the point where the cord entered the kettle. I unplugged it, set it in the dry sink and proceeded to clean up the rubbery soot stuff. Felt the wall a few times to make sure nothing hot was happening back there. The kettle owed me nothing. It was a wonderful Sunbeam that I got for my 21st birthday <grin>. It did more than was ever expected. So, now I need to get a kettle and a toaster. The latter was much much younger than the the former. Recently made things just don't last as long. I ordered a toaster online last week and 12 hours later got a note cancelling the order since nothing was in stock, despite it telling me the opposite the night before. It wasn't even a 'stock almost depleted' notice -- just a simple 'in stock'. So, today I say goodbye to a faithful friend. Luckily, I had a smaller kettle downstairs that I had used in my office. So I can still boil water while I hunt about for a new full sized kettle. But no backup toaster in the house. The hunt continues. 

Given the flames on the counter today, a song title came to mind. I didn't really do anything to bring on the appliance failure, so it sort of fits the events of the day. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

We Didn't Start the Fire -- Billy Joel



No comments:

Post a Comment