Friday 28 May 2021

Day 8 - 148 -- Sparking Creativity

 It has been an odd day to end the week. Well, maybe it is the activities that were an odd mix. I streamed a funeral mass for the father of a close friend, steam cleaned the floors in the house, listened to a monthly online talk show with musicians and artistic folk, chatted with a friend, and attended the virtual launch of journal issue. Eclectic, at best <smile>. 

The conversation from Myles From Home with host David Myles and guest Alan Syliboy was delightful. They spoke of creativity and continued movement forward, which often leads to entirely new pursuits. This morphing of a career was central to much of their talk. They are both musicians who perform, but Syliboy is also a visual artist who paints the most moving and beautiful artworks from his indigenous heritage. I found the closing words inspiring when Myles noted that we need to remain engaged and remain creative. That began something that will likely be a lengthy ponder. 

The launch of a special issue of Critical Dietetics journal dealt with how the pandemic has affected food systems and food choice behaviours. Authors and editors were present and the discussions sparked that creative feeling in me. Much reflexive thought brought out creativity and ideas for writing and discussing. I surprised myself, when I said to the furry one, "I miss that." It stopped me in my tracks as that short three word sentence sank in. The small flame of excitement that comes with new concepts to explore felt so very good. Unpacking it all, I acknowledged that I miss many things and many people.  The spark from the conversations today gave me some hope that I will feel that happy, excited feeling again for future visits with loved ones, archival exploration for research writing, and so many other things I used to take for granted. The takeaway message for me today was -- It isn't lost forever. It can be rekindled. It will bring joy again. 

The title line from a song played repeatedly in my mind today. It explained the feeling that I'm not truly lost as long as the hope remains lit. I've shared songs from this band often with the blog -- I do love their roots rock sound.  This one has a slower tempo with bluesy overtones. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Long as I Can See the Light -- Creedence Clearwater Revival




No comments:

Post a Comment