Wednesday 19 May 2021

Day 8 - 139 -- Searching for Patience

My first outing this week involved the curbside pickup of groceries. The order had two minor glitches. One product was not available on the shelf when it was noted as in stock in order database. The other item was noted as unavailable with no suitable substitutions. This was shanghai bok choy. When I called, they didn't even see that item in my order but said they would add it to the order. This was done without having to substitute -- shanghai bok choy was on the shelf. When I arrived, it took a while for them to find my name and order in the system -- again a minor delay but all worked well in the end. I then headed for the pet store to stock up on a couple of items. Great service here and they carried the heavy stuff to the car even <smile>.  When home, I took time to use the bag of potting soil to replant chives that were dropped off by local friends who have an abundance of this herb. I look forward to seeing them thrive and bloom. 

Our two week lockdown turned to a full month and now has been extended to mid-June. New case numbers are slowly falling, while hospitalizations are increasing. The eastern part of Cape Breton now has community spread beginning. Rising numbers are small so far, but have potential to surge. Record numbers of vaccinations were provided today. By next week, all age groups approved for vaccines will be eligible to book appointments. Take up percentages have been in the high 80s for 60-70+ and high 90s for 80+. As long as this level of vaccination continues with younger age groups, we will reach the magic number of community immunity in the next 6+ weeks -- for first dose, that is. Testing for disease is encouraged whether symptoms exist or not. Wrangling this virus is difficult and we hear stories of new variants from elsewhere in the world. So, we are encouraged to remain vigilant and isolated and masked and distanced when outside the home as the one designated supply gatherer for the household. I can't way I'm surprised that things will take longer, but I am disappointed that I can't easily visit with friends in town. Patience isn't my best virtue <smile>.  

A few lines of a song fit my thoughts today. While the song deals with something different than a pandemic lockdown <smile>, many of the lyrics fit the current situation here. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Patience -- Guns 'n' Roses



No comments:

Post a Comment